Watching Movies with an Aspiring Filmmaker / Film Buff

10:30:00 AM


This summer, I befriended someone who is really into film and is an aspiring filmmaker. I had the pleasure and honor of watching some of his short films, and we talked a lot about our artistic visions and the intersection of the arts and community organizing and social justice.

I also got a bunch of new film recommendations from him, and we spent a lot of time watching all different kinds of films--some that he loves, some new releases, and some that we just decided to watch together. I thought it might be fun to share those films and my thoughts on them because I definitely discovered some favorites and developed a newfound understanding and interest in film and directing.
Incredibles 2
Directed by Brad Bird

Incredibles 2 came out this summer while I was in Berkeley, so of course all of us were really excited about it and HAD to go see the movie. It was fun! It wasn't the best movie, but the nostalgia was so real and it was a good bonding experience for all of us early in the program. Most of the people in the theater were our age or older. Also, the Pixar short, Bao (which just won an Oscar), was AMAZING to see. Most of the people I was with were really confused though and didn't get it or appreciate it the same way. Sad.
Happy Together
Directed by Wong Kar-Wai

I didn't actually know this, but for some reason I had seen the beginning of this film before--I could not tell you why. Wow, you all. Wong Kar-Wai is a staple for any film buff, and as a Taiwanese-Chinese Brazilian, I especially love how this film follows Chinese and Taiwanese characters in Argentina and ends in Taiwan (I actually recognized where one of the passing scenes was shot!). But anyway, this is a tragic, gritty, real story. The use of colors is just something else in the movie, and the film touches on so many important issues. I hope to watch some of Wong Kar-Wai's other films soon!
Frances Ha
Directed by Noah Baumbach
We watched this one for fun/for the heck of it. It was funny to laugh at most parts of this film. Also, it's just so...white. It offered a nice touch of home for me, as it's set in New York (City). It's such a cheesy, kind of terribly scripted film, but like I said, it's kind of fun to joke around with someone about it and to not take it so seriously. Nothing memorable but connected to some good memories.
Princess Mononoke
Directed by Hayao Miyazaki
I have a love-fear relationship with Spirited Away, another Miyazaki film and the only one I had seen before watching Princess Mononoke, but Miyazaki is such a staple, and I've been meaning to watch more Studio Ghibli films. Princess Mononoke blew me away! The messages in the film!! A group of us from the program watched this together, and it was such a good time. We talked about it a lot afterwards and about the connections that could be made between the film and real life and social justice. I don't even know where to start in talking about the film...in a very broad sense it's about the relationship between humans, animals, nature, and spirituality. But just go watch it.
La Mala Educación (Bad Education)
Directed by Pedro Almodóvar
Almodóvar is another name you must know if you're into film. I had also been meaning to watch an Almodóvar film for the longest time, and my friend came through! I love some of the shots in this film, and I think you definitely get a sense of Almodóvar's style. You also realize that his storytelling isn't linear, which is/can be confusing but also breaks the hegemonic US/Hollywood form that dictates how a story should unfold on film. Like many of the other non-US directors on this list, you also see the variety in storytelling and filmmaking across the world, the way that films don't have to follow the linear path that we're used to in the United States, the way that stories don't need high action or violence or whatnot in order to be captivating--sometimes it's just as much about small moments.

I've since watched another Almodóvar film, Volver, and am always looking for opportunities to watch another. I can't recommend his films enough!
Sorry to Bother You
Directed by Boots Riley
Another film that came out this summer. WHAT THE HECK, Y'ALL!! Sorry, that's all I still have to say about this movie. I have lots of mixed feelings about this one... There's so much to love, especially its unapologetic, unhidden anti-capitalist message. It doesn't hide it and for the most part doesn't dilute it. It also hits at complexity and complications and contradictions in the fight for justice. (Also, can we talk about the fact that WeWork is basically turning into WorryFree? They already have WeLive apartments...)

The first half of the movie is SO good and packs so many punches but in a simultaneously subtle and in-your-face way that is hard to explain unless you've watched the film. And then stuff happens and the plot gets so out of hand. I thought the writing in the second half of the film was pretty poor, and part of the resolution at the end is such a cop-out. Forgiveness and redemption need to come after one really makes a change and shows that they've put in the work.

The thing about Sorry to Bother You is that it makes a very new, very not-talked-about-in-media topic really approachable to people through the use of satire. The underlying message is strong and is obvious for those of us who get it, but it's also not so overt that a general audience would get too upset about it. To be fair, between the three similar movies I saw this summer--Sorry to Bother You, Blindspotting, and Blackkklansman--Sorry to Bother You was my least favorite, but this kind of satire also isn't generally my thing so maybe that's part of it.
Blindspotting
Directed by Carlos López Estrada
Blindspotting is definitely one of my favorite movies of last year or even the past few years. I don't even know where to begin. I guess that the first thing that I loved about watching it is that it was created by two people from Oakland, set in Oakland, and I got to watch it in Oakland and drive by some of the places in the film after the film (and on one of my last nights in California). So surreal. I also got to meet Daveed Diggs (he was in Hamilton!) and Rafael Casal in Oakland; I skipped class and went to an event they were having at Peet's Coffee. Those who know me know that I'm not really into rap/hip hop music. But this movie!! You can tell the passion and work Diggs and Casal put into the film. You can see their love for Oakland and also how they see the rapidly changing city. There's so much nuance in the narrative, in the characters, in the plot/storyline. There's so much to unpack throughout the film, from race to class to police brutality and more. Just wow. My friend and I both really enjoyed the movie, and I've been recommending it to everyone I know.


There you have it! There's no pattern to the films I watched this summer or really any way to tie all of these together, but there's something special about sharing a film and watching it for the first time with someone. I have such fond memories attached to these moments this past summer at Berkeley (which is much less fondly remembered, but that's a different story). I can't tell you what my friend thinks of these films as a filmmaker, other than that he spread his love for Wong Kar-Wai and Pedro Almodóvar with me and that I have a much better and deeper understanding of movies now. I'll watch a movie and a particular way something was shot will stand out to me, like when I watched Spike Lee's Blackkklansman.

What are some films you love?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I enjoyed the Incredibles 2 film A LOT because I'd been a fan of the first one.I haven't seen the other films you wrote about but I will be looking for "Sorry to Bother You" because I am a sucker for an emotional film lol. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't anyone could not not love Incredibles 2 after the years of waiting.

      Let me know if you watch Sorry to Bother You and want to chat about it! It's such a ride haha. :)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my blog. I would love it if you could leave a little comment. :)